Feb 6, 2012

Review: Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby


Title: Shooting Stars
Author: Allison Rushby
Publisher:  Walker Children’s
Publication Date: 2.28.2012
Pages: 272
Genre: Contemporary
Series: No
Source: ARC swap

Rating: A-

Summary (from Goodreads):
Meet Josephine Foster, or Zo Jo as she’s called in the biz. The best pint-sized photographer of them all, Jo doesn’t mind doing what it takes to get that perfect shot, until she’s sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett—teen superstar and the only celebrity who’s ever been kind to her—at an exclusive rehabilitation retreat in Boston. The money will be enough to pay for Jo’s dream: real photography classes, and maybe even quitting her paparazzi gig for good. Everyone wants to know what Ned’s in for. But Jo certainly doesn’t know what she’s in for: falling in love with Ned was never supposed to be part of her assignment.

Review:
When I read the synopsis for this book, I was totally intrigued. When I started reading this book, I was somewhat disappointed. By the time I finished this book, I was melting from adoration.

It took me half the book to warm up to our narrator, Jo. I’m not even going to mince words: Jo annoyed the crap outta me for a good while. I felt like too much time was spent with her talking about the “papping” world (every time she said “pap” my mind went to an icky, not so good place). I wanted to know more about Jo the person, not the paparazzo. It took some time, but Jo finally let her true self shine through. I have to commend Allison Rushby of her writing of Jo. There were so many layers to this girl, and I feel like I should be chastised as a reader for not realizing there was more simmering under the surface of this character. I wrongly wrote her off too quickly, and for that I apologize.

By the time I was 1/3 through this book, I was positive I was sure I knew what would happen. In fact, I was actually penning the review in my head (it wasn’t that wonderful). Then this huge … twist happens that I swear I never, ever saw coming. Totally threw me for a much needed loop, and after that I was gone. I became completely engrossed by this book. I hate not being able to tell you what the twist is, but that would completely ruin the best “OMG” moment in the novel. It’s jaw-dropping worthy, trust me.

Rushby has written a fun, witty, and quick-paced novel that kept me on my toes. It was a great, read-in-one-sitting type of book. Definitely a deliciously guilty pleasure read. Check this one out, and be prepared to fight off urges to go camera shopping!

Buy: Amazon

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I also get earlier copy of this. Your review help me to know what I'd expect from this book. I'm glad that you enjoyed this book in overall! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Will have to keep a look out for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! Looks like my type of book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Review! i was totally shocked when you said you were disappointed, then i was like "phew" when you said you adored it! lol! I ordered this book, so i really hoped it would be a good one! Though im really glad there is a twist to the book, because thats what makes books worthwhile! Thanks for sharing!

    Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got declined on this book from Net Galley... makes me regret cause you have high praises on for this book. I wonder if this book is out already? can't wait for it... Awesome review! I need to buy this one asap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just by looking at the cover it looks like a cute book. Also to have a book that has a twist in it makes it extra great! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read a book with a paparazzo MC, let alone one that's female, so I'm certainly intrigued. I know what you mean about plotting a negative review and then having the book surprise you:)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep seeing this book pop up in the blog-o-sphere and, must admit that the synopsis is totally not my thang. Maybe I'll have to give it another chance though - especially because I can't resist a twist! Unpredictable books are the best. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good twist. Can't wait to read this too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!